Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I decided that since the boys have the next few days off from school that I would do a book entry. I wanted to share a few more of the books that we will be using for the new school year. the first one is called "Hungry Planet" by Peter Menzel. He traveled the World looking at what different families eat. He gave some families the task of buying what grocries they would use for a week, at his expense, and photographed all of it. It is truley an amazing book. I wanted to show them a little more having to do with kids and what they eat, so I included "Let's Eat" by Beatrice Hollyer. The next is called "Children Like Me". This book is great because they traveled all around the world photographing children and things from there life. Also going along the same lines is "A Life Like Mine". This also goes around the world taking photographs of children and their lives. Both books are put out in partnership with unicef. To expand on the topic a little more I have added in "How people live". All of the books have some really amazing pictures in them. They are great to show the younger kids if you want to expose them to different cultures. Finally I also have "Rules of the Game". This book talks about all of the different sports from around the world. We got this book as an idea for gym class for the boys but it is not really what I expected. It is a good book though to teach about all of the different sports from around the world. Hope you all enjoy.

5 comments:

Rockin' Moroccan Mama said...

Heather I think that is great. I might have to take a look at those books. Zachary will be seeing how kids live in extreme poor situations and even the well off. I am very happy to see you introducing this to them at such a young age. I get very excited to see moms exposing kids to this. Kids do not have the opportunity to know this and know only what is around them.I think it makes them a caring, loving, and giving person. As you can see I can go on and on about this. Zachary tells people, kids do not have toys in Africa so it is very important that he share some of his toys. LOL Yay, we are finally clearing out so many toys.

Gottfredsen said...

Thanks Yasmina. I am trying to show them that we should always give to those who have less. These books have really shown him all of that. I could only explain it so much, the pictures have definatly helped. It is great that Zachary is understanding this at such a young age. Sammy actually told me the other day that when he grows up he wants to give his money to people to help. He thinks that charity takes to long so he plans on going there in person. I actually had to convince him to keep some of his money so he could survive. LOL. As you can see I can go on and on to.

amanda said...

I love that Hungry Planet book. We've checked it out a few times from the library. Thanks for the ideas to expand on the topic. I think your blog will be a neat resource for me as a future homeschooler.

Gottfredsen said...

I am glad that my ideas can help in any way. If I can help with anything please let me know.

Garden State Kate said...

That is awesome!