Friday, January 06, 2012

Mathblaster Review

Just before Christmas I was approached to do a review of Mathblaster.com.  Mathblaster is made by Knowledge Adventure, the same people who put out jumpstart.com.  It is a game based around math for 6 to 12 year old.  They can create their own avatars called blasters.  Once they have created the Blaster they go through training (math games). 
This is a shot of what it looks like when the game starts.  In this area it has the sections that leads off to the different worlds.  It has a bar along the bottom of the screen.  On this bar the kids have access to their friends and can even change their Blasters looks whenever they want. 
The boys absolute favorite part of the game is that you can get a pet.  You can name them, or choose the randomizer to help them name them.  The pets do go through an incubation period.  Even though the boys do love this feature Sam has found one down side to it that he does not care for.  Sometimes you cannot get into certain games with out having the pet with you. 
This is obviously a game meant for the kids and it is a lot of fun for them.  However I have not had such a good time with it.  As fun as it is for kids there is a lot of stimulation going on for me.  So my husband was a sweetheart and played the game for me so that you could have a little better view of the game.  The picture below is the blaster that he created.  What a good looking man I have.  LOL.

I found it to be entertaining.  You get to play all sorts of math type of games. Some games teach math functions such as fractions and other games teach logic and eye-hand coordination.  I only played for about 20 minutes.  In that time I created the above character (isn't he cute!).  I also found a pet and brought him to incubation.  The incubation takes about 12 hours.  I am not sure it is 12 hours of playing time or 12 hours real time.  While the pet is incubating you collect different "powers" (lack of a better word) that the pet needs to grow in incubation.  So the game also teaches the child how to care for his/her pet. 

Now for the fun part.  Mathblaster is allowing me to giveaway a 3 month membership to one of my readers.  With the membership it also comes with a bonus membership to jumpstart.com.  To win this all you have to do is leave me a note here by Friday, January 13th.  I will draw the winner and annouce on Saturday the 14th.

Disclosure: I was provided with a membership good for Math Blaster and JumpStart at no cost by Knowledge Adventure in order to test the products’ abilities and give my own personal opinions on it. The opinions I have given are mine and may differ from others but were not influenced by the company or the free product provided.”

1 comment:

MamaGames - Alexa C. said...

I know KarateKid would love to give Mathblaster a try! :)