Friday, June 19, 2009

Summer Camp Schooling

Lately I have felt burnt out with every thing going on around here. I thought the boys and I could use some fun. The way that I thought I we could do that was through schooling. I decided to do summer camp schooling. Basically we would do lots of art projects and read books. Hopefully that would get the boys into wanting to learn more in that area of study. I am going to do this for five weeks then get back to regular schooling. We are going to have a theme for each week.
Our first week (starting monday) is going to be jungle. I thought I would share some of my ideas and books.
The projects that I came up with is:
  • Make a treasure map, then of course have a treasure hunt based on the map. (boys create an obstacle course)
  • Make a monkey mask then dance around like monkey's (well when you have a monkey(Gabe) you need lots of monkey projects.)
  • Make a jungle diorama and a mobile
  • The boys love trivia games so I am going to make one based on facts of animals in the jungle.

Then I figure I might through in a couple of movies

  • Curious George
  • Tarzan II
  • Jungle Book II

Of course I can not leave out a book list for the week:

I know that hippos are not in the jungle but when I did a search for jungle books on the library site, I got this book. Hippos goes Bananas! I could not resist, it looked so cute.
We also have Edward in the Jungle for our study of the Jungle. In the book the little boy dreams of being with Tarzan and what child does dream the same dream.
Of course we would not be complete with out a story book about a monkey. I mean of course we will read Curious George a few times, but our library choice was Little Monkey Lost by Keith DuQuette.
Of course I research book is always a must for my boys. For the jungle theme research I choose a popular one in our house Eyewitness Books Jungle.

I am going to try my best to come back as much as possible to show you the things that we do over the week. Until then our other themes are (picked by the boys) Ocean, farm, robots, and Medievel Times. If have any ideas, book selections, etc... I would love to hear about them. I am totally stuck on ideas.

2 comments:

Garden State Kate said...

That is how we do school here through the summer..ok through a lot of the year..lol.
I will happily share our ocean theme info with you..P wants to concentrate on that for the summer.lol If you let me know which week you are doing what, I'll pick books close to them as I can for the summer book club.;-)

reprehriestless warillever said...

What a fun way to keep the learning going over the summer!